[OpenAFS] dynamic hostnames...

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:03:59 -0500

With a Kerberos login using your password, you need to not only get
the TGT, you need to use the TGT to get a service ticket for the host.
This avoids an attack where the user attacks the machine using a fake
network with a fake KDC.

The pam-login is most likely using the hostname to determine what
is the principal name for the service. Since it most likely does not
have a matching key in the srvtab or keytab file for this principal,
the login will fail.

The pam-login could be change to request a service ticket for one of
the principals it does have in the srvtab or keytab file. In effect you
would create a service principal for the host not based on its current
DNS name, but on some long term name.