[OpenAFS] New "B" question: Samba versus AFS.

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:01:39 +0100

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 12:58:04PM +0100, Rubino Geiß wrote:

> You do not need a  Samba translator for using / accessing AFS on Win95
> oder Win98 oder ME! We successfully use "AFSforWindows9x.exe" for
> those old systems.
> (http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.2.2b/win9x/AFSforWindows9x.exe)

Because this translator is not really multi-user. It would end up as an
ugly hack. For example, there is no integration into the "Login-Sytem"
of Win9x. It's basically a single-user AFS client. Or did I miss
something?

> Why else do you have to use samba?

For setting up a Windows Domain, logon scripts and printing just to name
a few.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/