[OpenAFS] strange error in directory / volume

Dave McMurtrie dgm+@pitt.edu
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:59:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> i assume you can't boil it down into a simpler test case than using GConf?
>
> if not, i suggest:
> -use a recent tcpdump and watch the network to see exactly what
> operations are sent (tcpdump -vv -s 1500 port 7000 and host yourhost
>  should be sufficient)
> -make sure fstrace is configured usefully (afszcm.cat installed in
>  /usr/vice/etc/C or wherever you've compiled afs to expect it)
> -enable fstrace on the client (fstrace setset cm -active) , make the
>  problem happen, fstrace dump cm > somefile
> -send the packet trace and the fstrace dump to openafs-bugs@openafs.org

FWIW, this exact same thing happened to me.  I can't provide any of the
above info because I didn't spend much time on this since I'm (so far) the
only person at our entire university to ever complain about this.  I think
this happens when you run 2 gconf aware apps simultaneously from 2
different machines.

An obvious problem here is that gconfd relies on 2 things that AFS doesn't
fully support:  file locking and hardlinks.

If you throw together a quick C or perl program that calls opendir() &
readdir() you'll see that the directory entry for "ior" exists but if you
try to stat() it, you'll get ENOENT.  I have no clue what could cause this
to happen.

I fixed my broken directory by running bos salvage on my volume and I
stopped running gnome on 2 different machines simultaneously when they
both look at the same homedir.

Thanks,

Dave
--