[OpenAFS] symbols not found when inserting module

Earl Shannon Earl_Shannon@ncsu.edu
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:38:46 -0500

Hello,

I've compiled OpenAFS 1.2.7 on an Ultra 10 running Aurora Linux with
a custom compiled 2.4.20 kernel.

When attempting to insert the libafs module there are four symbols
unresolved.

[root@cincpac modload]# /sbin/insmod ./libafs-2.4.20.o
./libafs-2.4.20.o: unresolved symbol htonl
./libafs-2.4.20.o: unresolved symbol htons
./libafs-2.4.20.o: unresolved symbol ntohl
./libafs-2.4.20.o: unresolved symbol ntohs
./libafs-2.4.20.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

These are macros defined in /usr/include/netinet/in.h

It seems either the compiler is not finding the include file  (unlikely)
or
the include file is not included ( no pun intended ) where it needs to
be. However, I am open to suggestions about what is happening and to
solutions.

BTW, this did the same thing on a 2.4.19 kernel. I suppose its possible
the kernel was not built properly to support AFS. If so, what would one
do to properly build a kernel to run AFS?

Regards,
Earl Shannon
--
Systems Programmer, Computing Services, Information Technology
NC State University.