[OpenAFS] Services running in AFS space

JR Boyens JR Boyens <jboyens@iastate.edu>
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:20:03 -0600

I have a question about running services that mess with files in AFS space.
Well, frankly, how is it done? I've attempted to read up what I can, and what I
do find seems to be sketchy.

I found something from UW-Madison (cs.wisc) about burtscript, stashticket, and
runauth which seemed rather promising, but I was unable to find a suitable
source for the...source. :)

I've thought about writing a little custom utility for myself that will just
fork a process and get a kerb ticket of known length and an AFS token, then
just wait until the ticket needs updating. I could probably do it in a cron job
too.

My own university (Iowa State) skirts around the issue by not letting services
run there in the first place. Except for the web servers who are rebooted every
30 days to get a new kerberos ticket.

So, to the point of my rant, is there an "official" (read: normal) way to do
this?

Thanks,
--
JR Boyens