[OpenAFS] TESTDIR...?

Christopher Arnold chris@pictage.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:54:33 -0800

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>
>>Just out of curiousity...  Does anyone know why windows afs clients end
>>up creating these TESTDIR.TMP files inside
>>of AFS filespace and is there a way to stop this behavior?  We mostly
>>use linux systems here but we've recently
>>introduced windows clients and they are apparently the source of this
>>nonsense.
>>

>I'd actually guess Windows is doing something weird; The AFS client may
>be misbehaving somehow, but it's not creating them.
>
>Google for testdir.tmp and you should see that it's not just AFS that has
>the problem.

I did a preliminary check on Google prior to emailing the list and had
found some general information
saying that this was something Windows does when creating directories on
shared network drives.
The solution is to change the permissions on the shared drive to allow
"delete" permission..... I thought
that since AFS has it's own  independent access control lists this sort
of thing wouldn't apply.  Is there
some thing I'm missing about windows clients and their interaction with
AFS ACLs?

I'll keep researching..    Thanks for the response!

--
Christopher Arnold
System Administrator