[OpenAFS] help! volume corruption caused by lots of files

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:48:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, steve rader wrote:

>  > From: steve rader
>  > I have an end user who running a script under linux (2.2 or 2.4) that
>  > creates directories with perhaps as many as 100,000 files in them.
>
> "just don't do that"
>
> My thanks go out to Rubino <kb44 @ rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> for
> pointing out the max-files-per-dir info for AFS!  [1]
>
> I have identified a directory with exactly 32,000 files...
> 31,998 of them are 20 characters in length.  Crazy physicists.

We had a usage pattern which would consistently allow 31707 (I think)
files and then fail.

If someone is bored, I suggest adding the stuff on the page Steve refered
to into the Wiki. Note that the .__afsXXXX behavior isn't specific to the
NFS translator, despite what the page claims.

http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Support/afs/afsqa/general.html