[OpenAFS] OpenAFS or Coda?

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:33:32 -0800

Here's the situation I've got, two sites 100+GB of files that need to be
shared between the two sites by a design group.  The sites are/will be
connected via a point to point T-1 forming a private network.

My question is which would be better at handling this sort of scenario, and
how best to handle it.  All of the Coda systems I've examined so far are
either a client or a server, so setting up a server on either side as a
replicated (READ+WRITE) volume is a non-starter.

OpenAFS refused to run on any of the Linux machines I have had time to try
it on though (usually non-fatally oopsing the kernel and/or segfaulting but
always during the mount phase).  I don't really have time right now
togather up all the details of the crashes, suffice to say thats not what
I'm here for.

What I wanted to know is, in the opinion of this group, for hte situation I
have, which would be better?  Note that these files are 100MB or so on
average and the T-1 is the only data link to the outside world for the
office.

TIA