[OpenAFS] OpenAFS or Coda?

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:48:03 -0800

The delay of writing 100+MB files out across the T-1 wouldn't be
acceptable.  The writes occur pretty equally at both sites, with no clear
winner on that.

This is the reason I'm looking at distributed filesystems, is this is
truely a need for that, both sides need high-speed RW access to the files.

So am I right in understanding that AFS doesn't allow multiple RW replicas?
You have one 'master' RW, then other RO replicas, and when a write occurs,
what, the whole file goes upstream, or only the changes from the clients
cache?  I understand the difficulties in having multiple RW replicas, the
locking issues, etc, but the concern is to try and keep from transmitting
entire 100MB files all the time and to allow both teams to work efficiently.

Replicating the hardware on both sides isn't a problem, just trying to
avoid spending $30K+ on something from (insert large storage vendor here).

--On Saturday, December 07, 2002 10:02 PM -0600 Nathan Neulinger