[OpenAFS] multiple network interfaces in AFS

Marc Schmitt schmitt@inf.ethz.ch
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:09:56 +0100

Dear Warren,

Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com wrote:

>(Hi Todd).
>
>Note that the NetInfo and NetRestrict files will limit the interfaces
>advertised in the VLDB, and in the UUID of the fileserver.  That is, the
>clients should not try to connect to eth0 as that interface won't be
>listed in any service.
>
>In practise (on Solaris fileservers), we've seen that when although a
>client will connect to qfe1:0, the return packets from the fileserver
>have the source address of qfe1, which can fool the RX driver on the
>client to continue the rest of the RX exchange to qfe1.  This is despite
>using any combination of NetInfo and NetRestrict on the server.
>
>It would be nice to have the fileserver limit the ports that it opens to
>the ones listed in NetInfo / NetRestrict, rather than open them all and
>rely on VLDB and UUID information doing the correct thing.

If I understand you correctly, true failover is not possible because the
moment the standby machine takes over, some clients will want to "RX
echange" with the "real" IP of the default active fileserver. Obviously,
you have such a setup. What happens to those clients, do they recover
somehow?

Based on which criteria does the fileserver select the interface to
return packets, closest IP to the client?

Regards,
    Marc