[OpenAFS] some questions on OPENAFS

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:33:31 +0000

Sven Oehme wrote:

> Hy some questions about openafs  ,
>
> are there any limitations about the size of an AFS Cell ( are Petabyte
> Cells possible) ?

I know of cells with tens of terabytes of AFS volumes.

> is there a limitation on users per Cell ?

AFS-IDs are stored as integers. I am guessing at 32 bit integers.

> is there a limit on the numbers of servers in a Cell ?

Not that I am aware of.
Maybe there is some limit in the VLDB?

> is there a limit on the number of Replica and normal volumes  ?

Last time I checked (Transarc AFS 3.6) it was 11 ReadOnly replicas per RW.
I don't know if there is an "overall" limit on the number of ReadWrite
volumes in a cell.

> is there a limit on the max number of opened files in a Cell / Server
>  or only Operation System limit  ?

There are limits on the client side but these can be adjusted.
I don't know about server side limits.

> thanks for your help ..
>
> Sven

Are you interested in theroetical limits or do you have in mind
the practical problems of building a petabyte AFS cell?

Cost might be a factor to consider?

HTH.
--
cheers