[OpenAFS] Unable to authenticate to AFS ...

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:31:01 +0000

Yvonne Becherini wrote:

>Hallo all,
>
>I'm running Redhat Linux 7.2, openafs-1.2.2-rh7.2.1, ntp-4.1.0-4.
>
>When I try to klog somewhere, I obtain the following message:
>Unable to authenticate to AFS because server and client clocks are badly skewed.
>
>But: afs is running, and ntpd is running.
>
>Do you have an idea of what's going on?
>

>Thank you,
>
>Yvonne Becherini

Hello Yvonne,

I use one of the following two commands (depending on what is available)
to initially set the system clock prior to installing either Transarc or
OpenAFS on Linux:

a) rdate -s ntptimeserver.wherever.domain
b) ntpdate -u ntptimeserver.wherever.domain

This is followed by: hwclock --systohc

Subsequently, running ntp daemon keeps the clock in sync wth ntp servers.

If you only rely on using the ntp daemon, the problem is that the delta
adjustments
are very small and it could takes a long time (depending on how skewed
your clock is)
to get in sync.

I hope this helps.
--