[OpenAFS] OpenAFS future ramblings

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:04:29 -0500

> >> 2) Hard links.  I don't know why people want or need them.  But, is it
> >> impossible?
>
> > No, just difficult.  You'd have to change how files are stored in AFS,
> > you'd have to change the salvager (and you now have a more difficult
> > problem to solve because files could be anywhere in your volume not just
> > confined to one directory)), and you might have to change the "vos dump"
> > format some.  You probably don't want to link files across volumes - so
> > you won't gain all that much.  Per-file acls would (IMHO) be more
> > valuable.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, you need per-file ACLs to have hard links.
> Otherwise, what ACL applies to modifying the file?

Um, yes, you're right, that would indeed be necessary.  In fact, now
that I think about it, this is the reason you can't link files between
directories.  AFS already supports hard links inside one directory just
fine.  AFS ACLs are stored in the directory - which is why storing them
"per-file" would be complicated.

					- Marcus Watts