[OpenAFS] (no subject)

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists@icequake.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:47:50 +0000

hi,

Nathan:

> The client cache works JUST FINE on journalling file systems. It is
> solely reiserfs that it has a problem with because you cannot retrieve a
> file from an inode number.

You are correct with ext3 since only the metadata is journalled by default.
However, I was under the impression that problems arose when the actual filesystem
data is journaled.  Yes, I run ReiserFS on vice partitions and it works fine,
if a little on the slow side.

XFS or ReiserFS crashes the kernel on Linux if you try to start the client
with cache pointing to them.  I haven't tried JFS.

Russ:

> Unless I'm missing something, you need per-file ACLs to have hard links.
> Otherwise, what ACL applies to modifying the file?

Why not the ACL of the file that it's "hard-linked" to?

Also, of course this wouldn't be cross-volume.  It would be pointless to
do so, since this feature would only be desirable if you wanted to have something
exactly like Unix hard-links.

Derrick:

> > a file on AFS, nor can I mkfifo.  I'm sure this is obvious to those more
> they wouldn't be portable if you could.

Hm, that's true; what about hiding special nodes from non-unix systems? ;)

(re: fifos)
> you want a producer/consumer construct? it would be doable "easily" if you
> didn't care about more than one consumer, i think. once you have more than
> one consumer it gets ugly.

good question.  I can see hypothetical uses where you could use a single fifo
in AFS space to flag and/or pass data to 1000 slave boxes at once or something
similar.  However, even being able to run a fifo'ed program in AFS space
would be neat, and obviously the only workable solution if a multicast fifo
would be ugly.

> > 4) A lightweight, easily portable client.
> arla? i don't know what you mean, exactly.

I think maybe I meant a client that can be fully contained within a kernel
module, for boot discs and the such.  You know, without megs of userland
support.  Unless that's possible with OpenAFS?

> > nobody else is using the machine
> > at the time. ;)  Something to be concerned about, or ignored?

> something to be understood. when you clone a volume, for backup or
> release, or when the server is restarting, this happens.

Hrm, but what if I'm not doing anything related to the machine at the time?

> > I would prefer if that new directory by default would retain the ACL
> > of the directory above it, instead of being set to system:administrators

> it should do that, inside a volume. across-volume, no, and doing so is
> hard, because you can mount volumes as many times as you want, and you
> don't specify one at creation time. copy acl from what?

Ah-ha, that might just be the key.  If the ACLs aren't copied across volumes
then that is most likely the mistake I am making when managing the cell.

Thanks for the deluge of replies!

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253