Fw: [OpenAFS] some questions on OPENAFS

Sven Oehme oehmes@de.ibm.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:04:42 +0100

--=_alternative 0031D000C1256C8D_=

>Paul wrote :

>> Sven Oehme wrote:

>> Hy some questions about openafs  ,
>>
>> are there any limitations about the size of an AFS Cell ( are Petabyte
>> Cells possible) ?

>I know of cells with tens of terabytes of AFS volumes.

okay , we also have actually some terabyte of data , but is there a limit
? we really want more than 1 Petabyte !!

>> is there a limitation on users per Cell ?

>AFS-IDs are stored as integers. I am guessing at 32 bit integers.

so this means we can handle 4 Milliards of user ?  has anyone a
installation greater that 100.000 Users within 1 Cell ??

>> is there a limit on the numbers of servers in a Cell ?

>Not that I am aware of.
>Maybe there is some limit in the VLDB?

we plan to use ~200 AIX 5.1 Servers have anybody such a number of Servers
seen in Production ?

>> is there a limit on the number of Replica and normal volumes  ?

>Last time I checked (Transarc AFS 3.6) it was 11 ReadOnly replicas per
RW.
>I don't know if there is an "overall" limit on the number of ReadWrite
>volumes in a cell.

i have heard something about 65.000 Volumes , can anybody comment this who
really knows ?

we actual have 6.000 Volumes , is anybody working with more than 40.000
Volumes , this is the important number we plan to use.

>> is there a limit on the max number of opened files in a Cell / Server
>>  or only Operation System limit  ?

>There are limits on the client side but these can be adjusted.
>I don't know about server side limits.

>> thanks for your help ..
>>
>> Sven

>Are you interested in theroetical limits or do you have in mind
>the practical problems of building a petabyte AFS cell?

>Cost might be a factor to consider?

we plan to build a real Petabyte AFS Cell this is not only in mind :-)

cost is not the factor in this case , or do you know a Filesystem than can
handle this amount of data with branch offices where is no SAN
installation and these offices are connected with 128k Leased lines and
should theoretical access all data ..

Sven

>HTH.
>--
>cheers
>paul                                   http://acm.org/~mpb

--=_alternative 0031D000C1256C8D_=

&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hy some questions about openafs &nbsp;,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; are there any limitations about the size of an AFS Cell ( are
Petabyte <br>
&gt;&gt; Cells possible) ? <br>
&gt;I know of cells with tens of terabytes of AFS volumes.<br>
</tt></font>
, but is there a limit ? we really want more than 1 Petabyte !!</tt></font>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; is there a limitation on users per Cell ? <br>
&gt;AFS-IDs are stored as integers. I am guessing at 32 bit integers.<br>
</tt></font>
&nbsp;has anyone a installation greater that 100.000 Users within 1 Cell
??</tt></font>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; is there a limit on the numbers of servers in a Cell ? <br>
&gt;Not that I am aware of.<br>
&gt;Maybe there is some limit in the VLDB?<br>
</tt></font>
a number of Servers seen in Production ? </tt></font>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; is there a limit on the number of Replica and normal volumes &nbsp;?
&gt;Last time I checked (Transarc AFS 3.6) it was 11 ReadOnly replicas
per RW.<br>
&gt;I don't know if there is an &quot;overall&quot; limit on the number
of ReadWrite<br>
&gt;volumes in a cell.<br>
</tt></font>
anybody comment this who really knows ?</tt></font>
with more than 40.000 Volumes , this is the important number we plan to
use. </tt></font>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; is there a limit on the max number of opened files in a Cell /
Server <br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp;or only Operation System limit &nbsp;? <br>
&gt;There are limits on the client side but these can be adjusted.<br>
&gt;I don't know about server side limits.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; thanks for your help ..<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Sven<br>
&gt;Are you interested in theroetical limits or do you have in mind<br>
&gt;the practical problems of building a petabyte AFS cell?<br>
&gt;Cost might be a factor to consider?<br>
</tt></font>
not only in mind :-) </tt></font>
a Filesystem than can handle this amount of data with branch offices where
is no SAN installation and these offices are connected with 128k Leased
lines and should theoretical access all data ..</tt></font>
&gt;HTH.<br>
&gt;--<br>
&gt;cheers<br>
&gt;paul &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://acm.org/~mpb<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0031D000C1256C8D_=--