[OpenAFS] Future of AFS? Interesting Ideas!?

Benjamin Rodewald br@linuxfriendly.de
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:44:25 +0100

Hallo,
i know it isn`t easy to keep AFS stable AND to implement new Ideas.
But anyway. Maybe It`s worth to discuss them:

1. Replicated RW -Volumes
- - Should be hard to implement
- - Hard to operate over WAN Links
- - Great for maintaining high availabilty (in LANs)
Isn`t it possible to implement them with the same type of locking caheman=
ager=20
uses. Cachemanager holds a lock for locally stored files and gets a notic=
e=20
whenever he must get a new copy from the network. Am I right?
So isn`t this an Idea to use for RW-Replicas?
I think there`s no other solution?

If you keep your vicex in a Distributed Block Device (under Linux) you st=
ill=20
can`t use it from 2 AFs Hosts/Servers? Same if you keep a SAN Disk on a=20
replicated EMC in background?!

For your information only: MS has a DFS RW-Replica, but its so bad, that =
no=20
one (at least in an enterprise environment) uses it. (Discussed this with=
=20
people from a big german german insurance corp.) =20

2. AFS Databases in LDAP?
- - You can use slurpd(openldap) for replication
- - You can use AFS Tools (it is important to reimplement them for a new=20
inteface) AND LDAP Tools =3D> Enterprise managebility increases drastical=
ly=20

3. In general: Make use of "open standards" / Concentrate on AFS
- - no NTP implementation in AFS
- - no KERBEROS V4 Implementation in AFS
=3D> concentration for AFS people on AFS code (i.E. RW-Replica, nested Gr=
oups=20
etc.)
Outsourcing these AND (the most important) update the documentation to su=
pport=20
the outsourced project pieces could greatly increase the acceptance and=20
usability of AFS.

Keeping my AFS Test Environment up!=20
Beeing a C-Coder but not yet dived into the AFS-Code,=20
I can say I`d reallly love to help to implement the above Ideas.

Benjamin

(English is not my native language, so don`t shot me.)
- --=20
Benjamin Rodewald
 linuxfriendly.de - penguin empowered