[OpenAFS] OpenAFS documentation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:11:47 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Renato Arruda wrote:

>> What is the status of the project to get the documentation more up to
>> date?

> Still waiting to be started.

This reminds me of something I was going to ask.

I'm in the process of rewriting all of the INN manual pages into POD and
then generating man pages using pod2man, since I find POD source
considerably more maintainable.  I've gotten relatively fast at doing that
from a source document and doing some basic proof-reading while I'm at it.
Would you folks be at all interested in my doing that with what manual
pages there are for the AFS command-line utilities?

I can't guarantee any reasonable speed, but I'd like to start giving some
stuff back as I've been a happy user of AFS for quite some time, and this
is a lot more tractable for me than trying to get familiar enough with the
code to contribute that way (somewhat unfortunately).

I should be able to help hook up the magic to generate the nroff files
from POD; you'll probably want to include the generated files in
distributed source tarballs, rather than adding a Perl dependency for the
documentation generation.