[OpenAFS] Future of AFS? Interesting Ideas!?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:07:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Benjamin Rodewald wrote:

> Join the club?

"That makes you just like a few hundred others of us"

> Maybe one shouldn`t try to solve problems in AFS as first step, but try to do
> documentation of existing solutions people already use in big and stable
> environments?!?!

Nobody here is stopping you.

> IMHO Openafs with krb4 is a solution for nothing but AFS!

Depends what you mean. We used kaserver as a Kerberos 4 kdc for years. Was
it where we wanted to be? No. Did it provide single signon without need
for another security server? Yes. When you use login.krb and klog.krb your
Kerberos 4-aware applications "just work". So fact says your humble
opinion is wrong;-)

(Specifically we have Kerberos 4 aware IMAP and Zephyr, which aren't AFS)

I do think you're on the right track ignoring Kerberos 4, all that aside,
but if you don't need or want to use it, it's not like AFS magically stops
working if you don't.