[OpenAFS] Backup dumps

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:51:55 -0600 (CST)

> Is there a way to configure the backup dump scripts so that they are
> differentials or incrementals as opposed to level 0 (full)?

What "dump scripts"?  Does OAFS come with some wrapper scripts for backup
now 'days?

If you're refering to regular AFS backup, you can easily set up
incremental backups -- for example, here's my dump schedule:

$ backup listvolsets
Volume set Accounts:
    Entry   1: server galaxy, partition .*, volumes: user\..*\.backup

Volume set System:
    Entry   1: server galaxy, partition .*, volumes: [^u].*\.backup
    Entry   2: server galaxy, partition .*, volumes: users.backup

Volume set OldAccts:
    Entry   1: server galaxy, partition .*, volumes: user.class9[3-8]\..*\.backup

$ backup listdumps
/users
    /2
        /3
            /4
                /5
                    /6
                        /7
/system
    /2
        /3
            /4
                /5

This would coorespond to daily backups of users' home volumes, with a full
backup once a week, and incrementals every other day.  Same thing for
system binaries -- incremental backups once a week, with a full backup
once a month.

This should all be in the AFS Admin manual.

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy