[OpenAFS] Moving AFS server processes

Michael Aldrich maldrich@reserveamerica.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:35:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derrick J Brashear" <shadow@dementia.org>
To: "openafs" <openafs-info@openafs.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Moving AFS server processes

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Michael Aldrich wrote:
>

> If you're migrating you didn't need to create a new "admin", you already
> had one. If you started setting up the new machine as if it was a new
> cell, you may run into some problems. If you want to move from one server
> to another, configure the new machine as a server, but leave the first
> server alone, and don't remove it from your CellServDB.
>
> Here are instructions. If you get to any of the "stop. you lost" points,
> tell us what you did. (openafs-info, not me directly)
>
> Start by setting up the KeyFile on the new machine. It should be the same
> as on the old machine. You should copy it securely somehow (not with
> unencrypted ftp, unless you're on a private network); Set up the UserList,
> CellServDB and ThisCell file for the server (/usr/afs/etc if you use
> Transarc paths; otherwise, you need to know what paths you're using). The
> CellServDB should only have the old machine in it.
FTP'd KeyFile from Solaris box (secure network).
> Start the bosserver and then create the fileserver bnode. at this point
> you should be able to klog admin and create a volume on your new
> fileserver. If you can't, stop here. You've already lost. Otherwise,
> continue.

I've lost.
I started the bosserver (./bosserver -noauth &), created the bnode (./bos
create test1 fs fs /usr/afs/bin/fileserver /usr/afs/bin/volserver
/usr/afs/bin/salvager -cell <cellname> -nouth).
klog admin works fine, but when I try to create a volume (./vos create test1
/vicepa test.afs), I get:
Could not fetch the list of partitions from the server
Possible communication failure