[OpenAFS] AFS client over NIS

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:31:13 -0600 (CST)

> I'm trying to convert existing Linux users(NIS) to AFS users.
> Should I disable NIS client on every local machine on which AFS users
> will login? (suppose NIS server and AFS server are running in same
> machine)
> or if NIS client and AFS client can be running in the same local
> machine,how to set up entries in local /etc/passwd , /etc/shadow and
> /etc/group files?( here "local" means machines other than AFS and NIS
> server).

AFS does not provide /etc/passwd information (home dir, shell, gecos,
etc).  You still need to either use NIS, or have local /etc/passwd entries
for this information.  If you want to use NIS, I'd recommend setting the
password field in the shadow map to "*NP*", so NIS only provides name
service and not authentication.  See one of the MANY responses to this
exact question in the mailing list archive.

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy