[OpenAFS] Write-through/delayed-write support in AFS?

Sandeep Gopal Nijsure Sandeep Gopal Nijsure <nijsure@cs.unt.edu>
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:47:17 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I am thinking to migrate from NFS to AFS for a small network, mainly
because of security concerns. I am some concerns about losing the file
modifications, due to the write-on-close policy of AFS.

1. Do all the usual utilities like vi, Lyx, Emacs, Xfig etc. issue the
close system call for the File->Save option (or do they use write?),
or atleast on all the files before they exit?

2. What if the users of the network use write file operations in their
programs, and forget to close the files before exiting? Just like the
OS closes the local files left open by the application, does it close
the AFS files?

If the concerns are real, is there any AFS support for Write-through
or delayed-write (as used in NFS)? Performance penalties is not a
concern.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bye,
Sandeep