[OpenAFS] buserver barfs on "localhost" installation

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:09:19 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Michael Martinez wrote:

> You must have an active link carrier signal on the ethernet interface to run Open-AFS. Loopback addresses are excluded from consideration, so you cannot "trick" the system by using only a loopback interface.
>
> Your eth0 link light, must be on.

I trick my laptop all the time by ifconfig'ing my hard interface up as a
real IP address despite no network.

It depends on the OS. In Linux, no link is needed, you can have an
interface with a real non-loopback address and no network behind it, and
it will and does work.

-D