[OpenAFS] re mapping volume names to mount points

Derek Atkins derek@ihtfp.com
25 Feb 2002 14:23:12 -0500

In short, you can't.  I can mount any volume from any cell within my
own cell, and there isn't anything you can do about it (short of
setting the ACL such that others can't read your data, which you
should do anyways).

The way that most people do this is by volume naming conventions.
For example, we use volume names like 'user.warlord' or 'project.foo'
to correspond to (default) mount points of /afs/<cell>/user/warlord
and /afs/<cell>/project/foo, respectively.  Obviously this is just
a convention, and you sometimes have to make shorthand names to
fit within the 32-byte name limit.

-derek