[OpenAFS] re mapping volume names to mount points

steve rader rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:27:51 -0600

 > From: "Neulinger, Nathan"
 > About the only ways to do this are:
 > 	1. Recursing through entire cell checking every mount point and
 > recording it
 > 	2. Salvaging each volume with the flag that lists mount points

 > Either way is slow. Problem is that there can be from 0 - N mount points
 > for any given volume, and they don't necessarily even have to be on
 > servers you own.

I kinda figured, but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I just realized the most simplest way: use volume naming
conventions.  In other words, make ugly assumptions like

 root.afs -> /afs/hep.wisc.edu
 i386-linux22 -> /afs/hep.wisc.edu/i386-linux22
 user.rader -> /afs/hep.wisc.edu/user/rader

steve
- - -
systems & network guy
high energy physics