[OpenAFS] Newbie (or brain cramped question)

Thomas M. Langley tmlangley@lbl.gov
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:17:41 -0800

After having success installing AFS under Solaris 8, I was tasked with
installing it under Linux 2.2-19 (RH 6.2). Everything installed just
fine (used the 1.2.2 RPMS for RH 6.2). I rebuilt the kernel module and
installed it as directed and used the 'ThisCell" and CellServDB from our
Solaris installation. All seemed to be going fine until I attempted to
list the /afs directory after which the terminal just locked up. I
opened another session and tried to stop AFS which failed, then tried to
reboot the box which cause a panic. Subsequent experimentation
determined that I could only see my home cell nersc.gov.  Any attempt to
list another cell would cause this message to be logged to syslog:
    kernel: afs: Lost contact with volume location server 130.199.80.93
in cell rhic

I later tried to install AFS under RH 7.2 (kernel 2.4 9-21). Was
initially not able to see any cells when using the supplied 'ThisCell'
and 'CellServDB' (same symptoms as above.) When I would copy those files
from nersc, the only cell I could see would be nersc.gov any attemp to
list another would result in a terminal lockup with the 'Lost contact'
message going to syslog.

Any clue as to what I am overlooking??

Regards,
Tom Langley
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center