[OpenAFS] Encryption in OpenAFS

KELEMEN Peter KELEMEN Peter <fuji@elte.hu>
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:01:01 +0100

* Derek Atkins (derek@ihtfp.com) [20020226 11:01]:

> What key would you suggest the cache manager use to encrypt the
> cache?  Where would that key be stored?

> Before you answer, keep in mind that the cache is long-lived and
> shared across all users on the machine.

Entering the theoretical field, and considering on-the-wire
encryption strength currently deployed, many security-by-obscurity
methods come to mind.  I am not listing these here as valid ideas.

1. Kerberos host principal
2. user's Kerberos principal, after expiration cache contents
   become invalid and unavailable

Probably there is still a misunderstanding here; I am not claiming
that we want cache encryption implemented.  A situation dropped
on us where cache content encryption would have saved many work
hours.  We are aware, I repeat, we are aware of why it cannot be
done properly and all implied problems.  All I wanted to present
is that the original poster could really be in a similar situation
where he would look for cache content encryption solution.

> PS: I agree with all the others -- if this is really an issue for
> you then you've got bigger problems than just the cache contents.

We *all* agree on this, except management as I mentioned in my
first e-mail.

I do not see why we should beat this dead horse any more.

Peter

--
 Kelemen Péter     /       \       /       \       /      fuji@elte.hu