[OpenAFS] Moving Volumes

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com Craig_Everhart@transarc.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:25:50 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from mail: 28-Feb-02 Re: [OpenAFS] Moving Volumes "Michael
Aldrich"@reserv (1954*)

> The volumes are rarely modified by staff. They contain static pages for my
> site. If the RW volume is being moved, can the RO volume take its place in
> order to ensure no outage?

Seems that the logical thing is to have your web servers refer only to
the RO volumes on a continuous basis.  When you've made changes that you
want to publish, release the RW volumes containing the new data.  Access
to RO volumes is independent of the process that moves RW volumes.

I'm not sure if you have multiple RO volumes (multiple RO sites) for
each volume you're publishing in this way, but that would be the logical
thing to deploy so that your web servers could find their files even if
one of the RO sites crashed or were otherwise unavailable.  And moving
RW volumes wouldn't affect access to any of the RO sites.

		Craig