[OpenAFS] Moving Volumes

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com Craig_Everhart@transarc.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:15:13 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from mail: 28-Feb-02 Re: [OpenAFS] Moving Volumes "Michael
Aldrich"@reserv (992*)

> Understood. Although, by running vos addsite <new site>, this creates a RO
> copy on the new server. Can I create (using vos release) a RW site on the
> same server from the RO volume? The idea here is to retire the old AFS
> server.

No, you addsite/remsite RO volumes, but you move RW volumes.  The
processes are independent, as are the locations of the RW and RO volumes.

(Footnote: "vos addsite" doesn't create a RO copy; "vos release" does.
"vos addsite" tells "vos release" where to put the copies.)

So if you have RW and RO on server1 and want to move them both to server2:
	vos addsite <server2>
	vos release
	vos move <foo> <server1> <server2>
	vos remsite <server1>
	vos release

It doesn't really matter where the "vos move" happens in relation to the
addsite/remsite/release, but you need to do both and this is a
convenient spot.

I think the final "vos release" is probably a good idea but I'm not dead
certain on that.  If nothing else, it might re-establish the clone
relationship between the RW and RO on server2 so that the two volumes
can share storage.

		Craig