[OpenAFS] Improving collaboration

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
9 Jan 2002 21:47:06 +0100

Ted Anderson <ota@transarc.com> said:
>I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to use one of the open collaborative
>tools available on the network for maintaining some of OpenAFS's
>documents.  The CVS tree is appropriate for managing the source tree,
>but it seems unnecessarily heavy-weight for developing and maintaining
>information like the Project list[1], various HOWTOs (such as the
>oft-requested one on using Kerberos 5) and the FAQ.  I would suggest
>something like Wiki[2], which allows anyone to edit documents, would be
>a decent choice.  Another possibility is Faq-O-Matic[3].  Both of these
>could be run as CGI applications along with CVS at www.openafs.org.
>There are certainly other tools that could be used for this purpose; I'm
>not an expert on what's available.

A Wiki is always useful (my credo as a project manager: "here's a Wiki and a
mailing list - use it for 6 months, if you still want more after that, yell").

However, wouldn't it be an idea to use AFS for this? I'd say that most people
here have AFS installed, so you could just put a designated part of the
website in AFS, with public (wiki-like) parts, and maybe some parts that have
ACL's for certain project teams, and 'canonical official' parts that are just
writable by OpenAFS folk. Eat your own dogfood...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>