[OpenAFS] Improving collaboration

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:52:48 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Is Wiki something that gets installed locally? If someone else wants to
> volunteer to do this, fine, otherwise when I get a free minute I suppose I
> could try to scare up some piece of hardware for this, at least.
>
> > I'm trying to argue (at excessive length, I now see) that a rough tool
> > would be better than no tool at all.
>
> You'll get no argument here. Thus far no one has volunteered to do this;
> It's on my list of "if no one else gets to it by when I have time I will
> do it"

If people can figure out what they want, I'll be happy to provide for
infrastructure on www.openafs.org.  The current problem isn't a lack of
hardware or even of time to set stuff up; we just need some content and
some idea how to organize it.  Oh, and we need someone to manage it -- I
do that for the mailing lists (approving messages and handling the
occasional problem); it would be great if someone else volunteered to do
it for documentation.

I've already seen several suggestions for different systems to try.  I
can't really say anything about Wiki, having never used it.  I certainly
can say that I think faq-o-matic is _not_ what we want.

There's also one other possibility that hasn't been mentioned.  The author
of RT (our request/bug tracking system) also has a system for handling
documentation, called RT/FM.  I don't think it's publicly available yet,
but I'm willing to ask if we can give it a try.  People can take a look at
the RT documentation (managed by RT/FM) at http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/

   GRAND.CENTRAL.ORG/OpenAFS.ORG postmaster, webmaster, etc