[OpenAFS] can not attach to a read only volume

T. Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:31:15 +1300

Hi

We had a server (rh7.1 linux openafs1.0.4) crash the other day (not caused
by AFS), but on reboot there were disk problems. After finally getting
through fsck etc and getting the server running the root.cell RO volume on
this server (a secondary FS), vos release commands failed. I tried to
remove the RO volume to start again, but vos release failed (output below)

# vos remove -server afs-01 -partition /vicepa -id 536870916 -localauth
-verbose

root.cell
     RWrite: 536870915
     number of sites -> 1
        server afs-02.cell.name partition /vicepa RW Site  -- New release
Transaction on volume 536870916 failed
Volume needs to be salvaged
Error in vos remove command.
Volume needs to be salvaged

So I tried to salvage the volume (see below)

[root@afs-01 /root]# bos salvage -server afs-01 -partition /vicepa -volume
536870916 -localauth -showlog
Starting salvage.
bos: salvage completed
SalvageLog:
@(#) OpenAFS stable 1.0.4 built  2001-05-18
01/14/2002 10:07:43 STARTING AFS SALVAGER 2.4 (/usr/afs/bin/salvager
/vicepa 536870916)
01/14/2002 10:07:43 No applicable vice inodes on vicepa; not salvaged
Temporary file /vicepa/salvage.inodes.vicepa.16911 is missing...

Now I will admit to being a little lost. Can anyone help me get rid of this
RO volume so that I can re-release the root.cell (would it work without
cleaning this volume up first)?  I was able to remove the volume from the
vldb on all servers but it still "shows" up in the vos listvol command
(**** Could not attach volume 536870916 ****).

Cheers,

Matthew Cocker
PC Systems Administrator