[OpenAFS] openafs for Tru64 Unix 5.1

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy-li@e.kth.se
14 Jan 2002 13:59:31 +0100

"Jeffrey B. Woodward" <Jeffrey.B.Woodward@Dartmouth.EDU> writes:

> I have OpenAFS 1.2.2a installed on Tru64 5.1 - however there are some
> issues. First off, I am only using the AFS client (the server may or may not
> work). I built from sources using the native DEC C compiler...in order to
> get the build to build at all, I had to hack one of the system headers (I
> guess that I could have #define'd const to nothing in the build procedure as
> an alternate hack since 'const' doesn't really mean all that much in ANSI
> C) - the diff is included below:
>
> # diff -c /usr/sys/include/sys/systm.h.orig /usr/sys/include/sys/systm.h
> *** /usr/sys/include/sys/systm.h.orig Thu Nov 29 11:19:57 2001
> --- /usr/sys/include/sys/systm.h Thu Nov 29 11:36:05 2001
> ***************
> *** 203,209 ****
>   extern int maxmem;   /* actual max memory per process */
>   extern int physmem;  /* physical memory on this CPU */
>   extern const int nsysent;  /* size of standard syscall table */
> ! extern const struct sysent sysent[]; /* system call table */
>
>   extern char *panicstr;  /* system panic string */
>   extern long boothowto;  /* reboot flags, from console subsys */
> --- 203,212 ----
>   extern int maxmem;   /* actual max memory per process */
>   extern int physmem;  /* physical memory on this CPU */
>   extern const int nsysent;  /* size of standard syscall table */
> !   /*
> !     extern const struct sysent sysent[];
> !   */
> ! extern struct sysent sysent[]; /* system call table */
>
>   extern char *panicstr;  /* system panic string */
>   extern long boothowto;  /* reboot flags, from console subsys */
>
> With that change, the build completes successfully. I followed the Transarc
> installation instructions for Digital UNIX to build a new TRU64 kernel with
> the AFS module built in. At this point things mostly work; however, there
> are a few oddities:
> 1) My attempts to integrate AFS login into SIA results in a kernel panic
> when an AFS user attempts to login
> 2) My attempts to use an AFS/Kerberos aware SSHD server results in a similar
> kernel panic
> 3) Some combination of having an AFS token (obtained from klog or
> klog -setpag) and su'ing to another user results in a similar kernel panic -
> I get caught off gaurd on this one, so I don't know the exact sequence of
> events leading up to the panic.
> 4) Perhaps most bizarre, klog initially insisted that I had the wrong
> password. Just for humor, I changed my password (from a different system)
> and now klog is happy. However, another user is still unable to klog even
> after he changed his password. This problem I just don't understand at this
> point.
>
> I would like to investigate these issues further and find a resolution, but
> I have had limited time in recent weeks to work on it. Perhaps the guru's on
> the list can lead some assistance.

Are you able to write files at all ??

Last time i tested OpenAFS on Tru64 5.1 it panic'ed when writing files
in AFS, i dont think the client is ported to Tru64 5.1 at all.

I do belive you have 2 options.

1) Run Tru64 5.0a, OpenAFS works very fine for us, we are running our
   whole AFS-cell on Tru64 5.0a, even the client was worked without
   any problems for us.

2) Run the arlaclient instead, which works under Tru64 5.1

however Transarc has promised a port to Tru64 5.x, but i wouldnt hold
my breath.

/Jimmy