[OpenAFS] Improving collaboration

Ted Anderson ota@transarc.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:47:27 -0500 (EST)

I scanned DMOZ Computers > Software > Groupware > Open Source[1] and saw
lots of stuff that might be relevant but nothing that really stuck out
as something better than Wiki.  Clearly, it would be a big job to
research all the possibilities.  For what it is worth, there are really
a lot of Wiki sites[4], and software implementations out there.  To the
extent that people are "voting with their feet", this seems to be a good
sign.

I found[5] that SeedWiki[2] allows you to start a Wiki of your own.  It
is free for non-commercial use.  This might be a good way to try out an
AFS Wiki as a pilot, to see if it is a useful tool.

My plan for jump-starting a collaborative system is to enter the OpenAFS
projects[3] list.  It seems that this could benefit from more current
status, discussion of strategies, various input to help with
prioritization and generally more interaction.  The FAQ would be another
good candidate.

Ted Anderson

[1] http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Groupware/Open_Source/
[2] http://www.seedwiki.com/