[OpenAFS] rc.d/afs start hanging early

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
18 Jan 2002 21:01:18 +0100

[OpenAFS 1.2.2 with 2.2.19-SMP kernel on SuSE 7.0, uniprocessor machine]

I needed to reboot a machine today, and as AFS is still in its testing stages
on our systems, I wanted to bring up AFS with the machine fully functional -
NFS partitions mounted, web servers running, etcetera.

However, after printing the well-known 'Starting AFS cache scan...', most
afsd processes went into Diskwait, and (IIRC) two more were in Sleep. I've
left it at that for half an hour, rebooted, retried; rebooted, re-mkfs'd the
cache partition, retried - no directories were created so this happened really
early. Then I stopped the webserver and assorted stuff, umounted the NFS
partitions, and AFS came up fine.

Should AFS be brought up before NFS?

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>