[OpenAFS] Questions about AFS security

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:24:00 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Charles Clancy wrote:
> > System:administrators can do all the vos, pts, and fs commands.  Members
> > of 'bos listusers' can do bos stuff, like stop/restarting the server
> > processes, and the 'bos exec' too.  People who have had 'kas setfields
> > <user> -flags admin' can manage the kaserver (create users, etc), but
> > you're not using that.
>
> Not quite true. vos operations may use UserList (bos listuser) if they
> involve manipulating ot quite true. In many cases vos operations use
> UserList; You are, after all, manipulating the server's disk.

Looks like your editor mutilated your message.  I think I get the idea,
though.

I tested the following as a member of system:administrators:
addsite         add a replication site
backup          make backup of a volume
create          create a new volume
dump            dump a volume
release         release a volume
remove          delete a volume
remsite         remove a replication site
rename          rename a volume
restore         restore a volume

and was able to do all of them without any 'access denied' errors.  I took
that sampling to mean all vos commands worked.  Which ones don't?

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy