[OpenAFS] afs-3 Programmers Reference

Matthew N. Andrews mnandrews@lbl.gov
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:21:31 -0800

Derek Atkins wrote:

> The documentation is WAY out of date... So out of date to be
> practically useless. :(
>
> -derek

  Yes, but is it actually easier to figure out what is going on by diving
directly into the code, or to look at the outdated docs, and then review the
relevant pieces of code to see where actual behavior deviates from what is in
those documents. To be honest, I can't see how anyone could reasonably begin
to understand the afs code without at least some sort of architectural
overview, which as far as I can tell currently exists in no other documents.

I'm sure the correct answer is that we need new docs, and that's what things
like the wiki project are about(by the way, I noticed that there's now a wiki
linked from grand.central.org yay!) but untill these new documents
materialize, what would you suggest as the best way for someone trying to get
started at understanding, and making changes to the afs code to grok things
like rx, or the cacheManager/fileServer interface.

Note, that this is not a rhetorical question since that is exactly the
situation I am currently in.

-Matthew Andrews