[OpenAFS] Re: Questions about AFS security -- Lurker/newbie

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
21 Jan 2002 22:42:57 -0500

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 14:07, Charles Clancy wrote:
> Option 2: ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/kerberos5/
> Download the README, and cd into the specified directory.
> Download krb5-win32.exe.  This self-extracting zip file
> contains all the required files, including a krb5 client,
> kerberized telnet and ftp, and aklog.  When combined with
> the "don't authenticate" (something like that) flags
> for the win95/98/me client, or the unmodified winnt/2k/xp
> client, everything works quite nicely.

Hi.  AFS-Kerberos lurker/newbie here!

Thanx for the link Win32 client software.  I'm looking at turning on the
Kerberos 5 services on my RedHat Linux 7 networks, so those
non-filesystem related Kerberosized clients will come in handy for my
Windows client.  Any other comments/suggestions before I try them?

I'm an old NIS-NFS/Samba user who hasn't done much else.  I really want
to get away from this dated setup.  OpenAFS-Kerberos seems to be the
avenue I want to take.

I've also been reading about a number of LDAP-GSSAPI/SASL-Kerberos
implementations.  There are a few good HOWTOs out there now, and some
Debian packages.  I'm hoping to setup a test network shortly to see if I
can get it all working for Linux, Solaris and Win2K (possibly XP?)
clients.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Does the OpenAFS client work for Windows 2000 work on Windows XP?
I assume not, since XP is so new.

--
Bryan J. Smith, Engineer        mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.     http://www.linux-wlan.org