[OpenAFS] What to put inside MODULE_LICENSE?

Bart Banter bartbanter@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:48:45 -0600

I am not an expert on licensing, but I think you have an incomplete
understanding of the MODULE_LICENSE scheme. The main intent of the "tainted"
tag is to make it easy to tell if there are modules loaded for which the
source is not available.
As long as there are no closed-source implementations of the openafs Linux
kernel module, it is not necessary to use the "Proprietary" tag. You could
use, for instance, "IBM Public License (without closed-source
modifications)".
You would need to contact the keepers of the modutils package to get your
license string included in the non-tainted list.

--Guy Streeter
Red Hat