[OpenAFS] What to put inside MODULE_LICENSE?

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:55:53 -0500

--On Monday, January 28, 2002 14:48:45 -0600 Bart Banter
<bartbanter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The main intent of the "tainted" tag is to make it easy to tell if there
> are modules loaded for which the source is not available.

I don't think it's that simple. While said developers keep saying this,
they also say, in the same breath, that only GPL-compatible licenses are
acceptible. see http://lwn.net/2001/1025/a/module-license.php3 for one
example. Or the following excerpt from insmod(8) from modutils 2.4.12 for
another:
> Starting with kernel 2.4.10, modules should have a license string, defined
> using MODULE_LICENSE(). Several strings are recognised as being GPL
> compatible, any other license string or no license at all means that the
> module is treated as proprietary. See include/linux/module.h for a list of
> GPL compatible license strings.

> If the kernel supports the /proc/sys/kernel/tainted flag then insmod will
> OR the tainted flag with '1' when loading a module without a GPL license.

The IBM public license is not GPL compatible. There is a miniscule chance
that the forthcoming new GPL will have language about patent licenses in it
which will make the IBM public license compatible in that respect, but even
if it does, it's been claimed that licenses that refer to specific legal
jurisdictions  are not GPL compatible. (see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PythonOld)