[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS for x86 solaris 8

Alan Meadows alan@sunwave.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:18:11 -0700

Success!

Well, almost.  I downloaded the OpenAFS 6/30/2002 snapshot and the build
worked for me with two small tweaks to the make files:

1) The "ln" command syntax was incorrect for solaris in one of the
subdirectories MakefileProto.SOLARIS

2) Make attempted to try to build "JUAFS" which seemed to be broken, so I
just commented out the target for it in the Makefiles and let the build
continue.

On the bright side, the binaries all seem to work, but unfortunately the
kernel module won't load.  I get the same error message I received when I
attempted to load the kernel binaries that came with the sun4x_58.tar.gz
package:

# cp -p libafs.nonfs.o /kernel/fs/afs

# modload /kernel/fs/afs
 > can't load module: No such file or directory

# file /kernel/fs/afs
 > /kernel/fs/afs: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable 80386 Version 1

(for reference:)
# file /kernel/fs/ufs
 > /kernel/fs/ufs: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable 80386 Version 1

I previously assumed the unhelpful "can't load module" error message was
because I was trying to load a module that was built for the SPARC platform
on an x86 platform.  I used Sun's cc compiler (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc) and it
looked like a very successful build.

If no one has any ideas on how to correct the module problem, is it
possible to run the OpenAFS server on Solaris 8 without loading the OpenAFS
kernel module?  I have no need to run the client on Solaris.  I have heard
that the module was only for the client but it wouldn't surprise me if I
didn't have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

Thanks again for all your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Alan Meadows
alan@sunwave.com