[OpenAFS] Re:OpenAFS for x86 solaris 8 (new issues!)

Alan Meadows alan@sunwave.com
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 15:24:29 -0700

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for your help with getting OpenAFS on x86
Solaris running, especially Derick Brashear.  With the latest CVS, I was
able to successfully build the entire package and everything seems to be
running great.  Lately though, I have been plagued with a setup problem
that I cannot solve and thus cannot move forward with AFS.  After hours of
web searching about this particular issue, I found someone who had a
similar experience (URLs listed below).

Here's my setup:

- (1) Solaris 8 on Intel machine.
- OpenAFS (2002-07-01 CVS Build)

For the moment, until I get my feet wet, the Solaris 8 machine is serving
as the single and only file, authentication, everything server in this new
cell.  I believe I have things configured correctly because all the AFS
processes are running and /usr/afs/logs don't contain any errors.  For a
client, I am attempting to use the OpenAFS windows client for testing
purposes.  The real clients will be linux servers, but that's later.

I do not believe I have taken any steps to get the OpenAFS client
configured at all on this machine, since I have no need of it.

Here's the problem:

I cannot authenticate for the life of me.  Running "klog admin@cell.com"
and "klog admin" on the Solaris machine itself running the OpenAFS server
processes all return the same error message: "Unable to authenticate to AFS
user doesn't exist".  Doing "kas examine admin" I see that the user
exists.  The curious thing though is that if I enter in the wrong password
for the "admin" user I get an appropriate Incorrect Password error
message.  I have also tried using uss and the steps outlined in the IBM
guides for manually creating additional AFS users and they also return the
same error message when I try to obtain a token for them.

The Windows 9X version of OpenAFS returns the same error message for users:
"User doesn't exist".

I have made sure that the AFS "admin" user has the same UID (101) as the
user "admin" in the local password file.  According to the documentation,
AFS is most happy when users exist with the same UIDs in both places.

I am fairly sure the klog program is communicating with the kaserver
because typing in the wrong password gets me a different message.  I am
unsure what I am doing wrong since I followed IBM's directions for setting
up the server on Solaris to the letter.

The previous thread(s) and suggested remedies on this problem can be found
by visiting:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Mike+Aldrich+OpenAFS+Admin+Password&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=0

Also, as a completely seperate issue,

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Alan Meadows
alan@sunwave.com

./klog