[OpenAFS] Daemon logging to AFS-mounted logfile

David Fulton dfulton25@attbi.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:32:04 -0600

In the past, we have just assigned each server a seperate log file and
allowed them to log for a day. Then we would restart the daemons to
flush the data to the file and then moved the file and a perl script put
everything into a new file in proper sequence for stat purposes. This is
the only way to avoid that unless you use syslog and have all the apache
daemons log via syslog to one machine. This has the same effect and is
prefferable as it does not require a restart of apache. If you plan on
allowing clients access to the web server space (in particular CGI)
restarting can be a bad thing if there is an htaccess file or something
that is messed up it can keep the whole thing from starting durring the
restart. Better to get a call from a customer whose htacces is not
working than 1000 with down websites. I digress.

Regards,
    Dave