[OpenAFS] Backup & AFS

Kristen J. Webb kwebb@teradactyl.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:15:20 -0400

Jason Garman wrote:

> What are people using for backup of AFS volumes?  We're looking at either
> Omniback or Veritas NetBackup.  We just spoke with Veritas yesterday, and
> they are dropping support for backup of AFS volumes as of the latest
> version of NetBackup (not to mention that they wouldn't have officially
> supported OpenAFS to begin with).
>
> Is there a large enough contingent of people here using Veritas to
> convince them to reinstate support for AFS?  Or, is anyone using Omniback,
> and if so, what kind of scripts are you using for backup?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jason Garman / jgarman@wedgie.org

Hi Everyone,

    Teradactyl's True incremental Backup System (TiBS) provides efficient
and scalable backup for the Andrew File System (AFS).  Among our clients,
TiBS is currently being used to backup the ece.cmu.edu cell at Carnegie
Mellon University.  I have supported the backup of AFS at this location
since 1987.

Key features relating to AFS include:

    - Complete unattended backup of all AFS fileservers
    - Processes network backups in parallel to disk caches
    - File and database server backup via our UNIX client
    - Detects inconsistencies between fileserver and vldb states
    - Detects volumes that require salvage
    - Uses native vos dump format to preserve ACL's
    - Uses volume time stamp information to backup only modified volumes
    - Eliminates periodic full and lower level backups from AFS fileservers
    - Recovers at the volume, partition, server, and cell levels

TiBS reuses data on the backup server to generate new tape volumes.  This
results in up to 10 times or more reduction in the workload for fileservers
and data networks, allowing sites to:

    - Centralize AFS backup to a single backup server to take advantage
	of multiple tape libraries and newer, high capacity tape drives
    - Shrink fileserver backup windows, allowing more data to be managed in
	a single cell

Other features of interest we are working on:

    - Multiple cell support to a single backup server
    - Fileserver initiated vos backup for performance and automation
	across multiple cells
    - Kerberos 5 support for client/server authentication
	(UNIX/Windows/Macintosh)
    - Continued at support for OpenAFS

Please email sales@teradactyl.com or techsales@teradactyl.com if you have
any questions about our company or products.  Of course there is plenty
of info at www.teradactyl.com.  If you would like to demo TiBS free for
30 days take a few minutes to fill out our online evaluation form at:

	http://www.teradactyl.com/Download/LongForm.html
--
Mr. Kristen J. Webb
Teradactyl, LLC.