[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and IIS

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:41:46 -0400

> I cracked open the AFS book again and came across the page that states the
> total number of user identities is limited to 32768 (0 to 32767).

I don't think there's any inherent limitation to the number of user IDs
in ptserver, aside from 2^31 (negative IDs are groups) and other similarly
high limits for, say, database size exceeding 2GB.

As to the question of OpenAFS and a Windows-based web server, the Windows
AFS client has some reported problems, including memory leaks.  If you
have the option of running the web server on a UNIX platform (i.e., if
you don't have Windows-specific CGI-like things) that would be a much
better choice; UNIX AFS clients are by far more stable and well-tested.

-- kolya