[OpenAFS] Trying to figure out how to work this

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
31 Jul 2002 16:06:15 -0400

Not necessairly --

An "outside" client (read: telecommuter) may need to contact the
sync-site.  It would be BAD if that sync-site were inaccessible.

Similarly for replicated volumes, a telecommuter's client might choose
to access the internal RO site, which would fail.  Sure, it should
failover to a non-internal site, but it would still require a timeout.

What kind of file access do you want to provide a telecommuter?  If
you want to protect financial data and NOT allow a telecommuter to
access it, then you could put a _file_server behind the firewall..
But I would not recommend you put db servers behind the firewall
(because of the syncsite issues).

-derek