[OpenAFS] unix permissions and MacOS X

Alexei Kosut akosut@stanford.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:58:23 -0800

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:42:11PM -0500, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
> Do you mean in the finder, from the shell, or something else? There is a
> known problem with the finder (and other Carbon applications) that apple
> has been informed of on multiple occasions but have not yet fixed. The
> finder does makes it's own access control decisions (because it wants to
> anyway so it can give non-writable files and directories different icons).
> Unfortunately, it does it the wrong and fast way, using stat(2), rather
> than access(2).

In my experience, it affects Cocoa applications also (mainly in the
Open and Save dialogs).  The solution I've settled on, until Apple
fixes this, is to have OpenAFS report fake mode bits so that Mac OS X
doesn't get a chance to try and enforce them.  It means that programs
that care about the exact mode of a file will get the wrong
information, but so far this hasn't turned out to be an issue.

The patch I'm using (against OpenAFS 1.2.3) is here:
<http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/macosx/openafs/permission.patch>

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>