[OpenAFS] Using OpenAFS with Web Servers

BNQ binq@yahoo.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:13:32 -0500

How suitable is OpenAFS for use as network attached storage for production
level web servers?  The reason I want to do this is because I want all my
clients to be in a center place.  Then I can have all my web server access
pages from that place.  By doing this I have increased scalability, because
I can expand the AFS cell as my storage needs grow, and I can have multiple
web servers serving the same website.

Has anybody tried doing this before?  How well would OpenAFS respond to read
requests for thousands of small file every second?

If there anything that can be done to optimize such a system?  On the
clients is the cache stored in memory or hard disk?  Is it possible to store
it in both?  Would having a large client side cache (like 2G) solve my
problems?

This system will also require me to create and maintain a large number of
users.  I have decided that OpenLDAP is the best way to go about doing this.
Is it possible to integrate OpenAFS with OpenLDAP so that authentication is
done though OpenLDAP, and authorized access to files is done though OpenAFS
ACLs?