[OpenAFS] "error reading cell database Can't get local cell name!"

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:05:50 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Tino Schwarze wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:26:54PM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
> > > I have installed an afs client (1.2.3) from rpm. Everything works fine
> > > (afs start ; klog ) as long as I am logged as root.
> > > When I am logged as an ordinary user klog gives me the following message .
> > >  "error reading cell database Can't get local cell name!"
> > > Any clue what has to be done .... thanks ..... Yves
> >
> > chmod 755 /usr/afs/etc
> AFAIK /usr/afs is only server stuff...
>
> Better use
> chmod 755 /usr/vice/etc
> chmod 755 /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB
> chmod 755 /usr/vice/etc/ThisCell

Only if you didn't let the bosserver set up the world. bosserver tries to
make /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB a link to /usr/afs/etc; Further, for some
versions bosserver sets /usr/afs/etc mode to 700 if it creates it. Hence
my suggestion.

-D