[OpenAFS] Some questions about the future of OpenAFS

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 1 May 2002 12:35:16 -0400 (EDT)

On 1 May 2002, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I would assume that PTS would continue to behave as it does today,
> mapping a principal name to an AFS ID.  Note that that is _all_ that
> PTS does -- it maps names to numbers, and maintains group lists (again
> mapping names to numbers).

Well, GetCPS is a little more complex than that, but generally yes.

> Also note that foreign users work today, and I don't see how this
> would change.  If a user in realm1 authenticates to the AFS service in
> realm2, they get a cross-cell authentication and PTS would convert
> user@realm1 to AFSID-nnn.  This is exactly how it works today, so I
> don't see the issue.

No way to do foreign user mapping to a local user, or have more than one
auth id map to a since PTS id; With support for multiple ways of
authenticating you want a way for many things to be one user, since, well,
they will be.

But as Derek says nothing *requires* it to change.